Designed by Tanja Lay. FREE English language pattern.
We’re super excited about our new yarn, Ito Rakuda, a dreamy mix of wool and camel fiber. It is gloriously soft and full-bodied, plumping up nicely with the first hand wash.
We want to spread the excitement with this free pattern for Rakuda. You know what they say: “Cold hands, warm heart.” Now you can have warm hands, too! This super simple pattern can be whipped up in no time with just one cone of ITO Rakuda. So get yourself busy choosing one of the many Rakuda colors and then we can begin.
- 1 (2, 3).
- Length approx. 30 cm / 11¾".
- Circumference approx. 13 (16, 19) cm / 5 (6¼, 7½)".
- 6" double-pointed US 2 (2.75 mm) or 32" circular if you are using the "magic loop" technique.
- 32 sts and 36 rnds in stockinette st with US 2 (2.75 mm).
STITCHES & TECHNIQUES
- Stockinette stitch in rnds: knit all sts
- Make 1 left (m1l): From front, with tip of left-hand needle, lift running thread between st just worked and next st onto left-hand needle; knit into back of this loop.
- Make 1 right (m1r): From back,with tip of left-hand needle, lift running thread between st just worked and next st; knit into front of this loop.
- NB: Cast on and bind off very loosely so that the ends are nice and stretchy (to fit over your palm).
Cast on 42 (51, 60) sts loosely. Join to work in the rnd making sure not to twist; work in stockinette st until piece measures 22.5 cm / 8¾" = 86 rds from cast on.
Rd 1: k10, m1l, k rem sts
Rd 2 and all even rds: k all sts
Rd 3: k10, m1r, k1, m1l, k rem sts
Rd 5: k10, m1r, k3, m1l, k rem sts
Rd 7: k10, m1r, k5, m1l, k rem sts
Rd 9: k10, m1r, k7, m1l, k rem sts
Rd 11: k10, m1r, k9, m1l, k rem sts
Rd 13: k10, m1r, k11, m1l, k rem sts
Rd 15: k10, m1r, k13, m1l, k rem sts
Rd 17: k10, m1r, k15, m1l, k rem sts
Rd 19: k10, m1r, k17, m1l, k rem sts
Rd 21 (only sizes 2 & 3): k10, m1r, k19, m1l, k rem sts
Rd 23 (only size 3): k10, m1r, k21, m1l, k rem sts
Next round: loosely bind off the 19 (21, 23increased sts. Join remaining 42 (51) 60 sts in rd and work until piece measures 30 cm / 11 ¾" = 117 rnds from cast on. Bind off all sts loosely.
Work the second wrist warmer same as the first.
Weave in ends. Hand wash gently and lay flat to dry.
m1l make 1 left
m1r make 1 right
Next step: Wear! Or wrap them up nicely for your favorite warm-hearted person.